Saturday, January 5, 2013

A Very Conway Christmas



Christmas is one of my absolute favorite holidays. The onset of colder weather, the tree-picking and adorning, the lists of presents to buy for your favorite people, the peppermint tinged and cinnamon scented delights that are begging for space in your belly. But on top of the traditions and rituals, the star on the top of the tree for me, is the sense of reflection the holidays invoke. It's the time of year to think back on the year behind you and look ahead to the year before you. It's a time to feel gratitude for the wonderful bits you were witness to in the last twelve months and to let go of the not so good things that may have made your boots a bit heavy. It's a time to release and recharge, and you get to celebrate it all with good food, family, and presents. It's not hard to imagine why I love it so much.

We landed back in the states a week or so before Christmas, which meant that we were be able to spend our very first Christmas in Maine. Every time we stay with Christian's parents, we have such a great, relaxing time. They don't call it Spa Conway for nothing! We're always warm, we're always full, and we're always slightly sleepy. My mother-in-law is the ultimate hostess. I always leave in awe of her, and this time was no different. Just how does one take care of so many people all while tending to pots on TWO stove tops that are boiling and sizzling with something delicious? Don't ask me, ask Susan. Her name is synonymous with all the warm and cozy things you associate with "mom". You better believe I know how lucky I am that I have TWO ladies in my life that fit that bill.

Our days in Maine were spent visiting family, eating, playing with Phoebe in the Conway's picturesque yard, eating, and taking turns cooing at our newest family member. We enjoyed a great meal out courtesy of Christian's little brother Jamie and his wife, Lisa. Sharing a couple hours with these two was a luxury we aren't often afforded, so it was especially wonderful to have that time with them. Thanks for the lobster mashed potato experience, guys! We've got your "room" all ready for your visit to SF.

Phoebe enjoyed herself so much that she has been in a funk since we returned to California. We may have to seek professional help. During our time in Maine she had the run of the house. She was treated to constant pats and treats, training exercises with Auntie Lisa, two tufted ottomans to doze on, and a yard full of snow and deer in which to frolic. Come to think of it, Pheebs, I don't blame you. We all wish we lived at Spa Conway.


Auntie Ria and Uncle David hosted a cocktail party that included lots of sushi despite Christian's best effort to tell everyone I hate sushi (I don't!). I have a feeling that this raw fish scandal - let's just call it "sushigate" - will live on infamy and I will spend the rest of my days proving just how much I love the rice and seaweed wrapped delicacy. And all because Christian just wanted pizza!

One of the best Christmas surprises was meeting our new baby niece, Amara. Whitney and Edwin welcomed her into the family in November, so she was every bit of precious that a six week old baby is. All big eyes and sweet baby skin with a soft spot for books (she's a genius!), she is an 11 pound ball of delight. I know all babies are special, but I happen to believe that Amara was blessed with a little something extra. She is an absolute angel and we are delighted for Whitney and Edwin, and so grateful that she is here.

Christmas Eve was spent at Spa Conway. Jamie and Lisa and Susan spent several days prepping a "feast of seven fishes" that was absolutely spectacular. My job was to dress three long dinner tables for our 18 guests. With Susan's tutelage and Lisa's assistance, I was able to bust out a pretty nice spread that took me a mere four hours to perfect. Welcome to my obsessive little world, Conways! Our feast started with tuna poke and some sort of avocado salad with tuna belly a la Jamie and Lisa, both of which were absurdly delicious. Then we all sat down to a light meal of spinach florentine with haddock (or maybe it was cod?), squid linguine with tomato sauce, clam linguine with a garlic butter sauce, fried shrimp, crab cakes, stuffed lobster tails, and so much more.


Sitting there with a full belly on the eve of Christmas (also the day my sweet husband was born), I looked around the room and couldn't help but think how fantastic it was that I had landed here with all of these incredible people. I feel grateful to not only know them, but so fortunate to also call them family. Their traditions run deep and now, I have been gifted a place beside them in that history. To the Conways and everyone in between, you are just the knees on my bees. The cherry on my sundae. The icing on my cake. Thank you for one incredible Christmas.


For the whole week in pictures, head over here

No comments:

Post a Comment